A former bus driver, John Hinchcliffe who lives in the village has compiled an interesting collection of photographs of buses that have served Kirkheaton since the first one in 1921. Please follow the link to find out more
The land now occupied by Matrix and other industrial units was once Kirkheaton Railway station. The line was built in 1867 from Huddersfield to Kirkburton via Deighton, Kirkheaton and Fenay Bridge. Eventually it was intended to run all the way to Barnsley but this never materialised.
The building of the line was a feat in itself and not without its problems- the first two arches of the seven arched viaduct over the Colne collapsed into the canal in February 1866.But at 7am on New Years Day 1868 the first train on the line set out from Huddersfield station. It proved very popular and even in the 20′s despite competition from local steam trams, 12 trains ran every weekday with extra on Saturdays. Its demise as a passenger line came in 1931 when the train company amalgamated with Huddersfield Corporation to form the Joint Omnibus Committee. Their fleet of buses killed off the passenger service and the last train ran on Saturday 26 July 1931. Freight trains still continued to the private sidings at British Dyes [later ICI], Elliots Brickworks and several local coal mines. But by 1965 the majority of the line closed.