Michael Bowyer [l] and Brian Makison receiving their crystal awards for donating 75 units of blood

Two Kirkheaton residents were presented with awards to mark their 75 donations of blood at a ceremony held at The Majestic Hotel in Harrogate in January. Brian Makison and Michael Bowyer have been regular attenders at the blood donor sessions at the United Church, Michael for  over the last 40 years. Brian has also 30 donations of platelets**under his belt.They were presented with their awards by a blood recipient who had life saving transfusions in her battle against a rare form of leukaemia.

Michael said ” It’s very rewarding to be part of the blood transfusion service and to meet some one who has benefitted from our donations. I hope to continue giving blood for a long time to come”

Did you know that 96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood?

The next blood donation sessions at the United Church will be held on Tuesday 12 th February 2 – 4pm and 5:30 – 7 pm. New donors especially welcome.
Visit www.blood.co.uk for further information

* a ‘pint’ or unit of blood is approximately 450ml

**platelets are the clotting agents in blood – vital for leukaemia suffers, cancer and transplant patients and people who have suffered  severe blood loss.